Thursday, November 15, 2012

BITCH,BITCH,BITCH....


In my personal opinion, I believe that Lupe Fiasco’s “Bitch Bad” is an attempt to be critically conscious in hip-hop. Lupe Fiasco illustrates the term “bitch” in the hip-hop industry, the different perspectives and the influence it has on impressionable adolescents.  It is taking a step forward away from the current industry music theme of perpetuating the stereotypes of gangster life, showing off money, and degrading women as a sex object. Lupe introduces in two different definition of how the word bitch is perceived. The first act, an example and definition of “bitch bad” was given a young boy whom is with his mother; they are riding in the car listen to the radio. The young boy whom is at an impressionable age watches is mother sing along with the lyric “I’m a bad bitch, I’m a bad bitch, I’m above average…” The young boy have now associated the word “bitch/bad bitch” with his mother whom he respect and care taker. Unintentionally, the mother whom was singing along with the radio had given/taught her son a positive association with the word “bitch” and the female gender.  In the second act, shows how the influences of hip-hop music video have on impressionable young girls between roughly the age of 9 through 12 and how they perceived the term bitch. The music video that these young girls are watching is a rap video with the artist explicitly using the term bitch, while the female model/dancer in the video is accepting the term used for her and acting “sexy”.
The image of “bad bitch” and how it is perceived in Lupe Fiasco’s music video shows the cross-gender role examination of toxic influences on the younger generation. I believe, that he is not entirely blaming women for victimizing themselves in the hip-hop industry; the industry, artists, and men play huge role in characterizing women in an improper or degrading way. Lupe lightly shows how the industry and artists degrade women with the term “bitch” and how it is being accepted; with the songs being played on the radio using the term “bad bitch” and the rap artist constantly saying, “He wants a bad bitch”.  The rapper using the term “bitch” may have an influence, but so does the woman in the video. To my observation, it is clearly recognized that the hip-hop industry and male artists has heavily use different terminologies and acted imagery/skits portraying women as sex objects or some form of degrading manner, but no criticisms have really been made about women influence.
Lupe fiasco shines light that although women are not entirely at fault, they must also take responsibility as well as the industry and artists.  His song “Bitch Bad” is an example of hip-hop attempt to be more critically conscious by showing how not only the industry and artists are responsible for being more conscious of their influence but women too. 

-491W

7 comments:

  1. Hi Soap,
    I agree with you that Lupe is illustrating how the term bitch has multiple meanings, and that is part of the problem of how people react to it. However, I would take issue with his presentation that the boy has the right idea of what bitch is, and the girl has got it all wrong. In other words, she would escape her negative experience if she would just clean up and act like the boy's mother. Who is Lupe to say what women should and shouldn't act like?
    --eas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't believe that he is making the statement that the mother needs to clean her act up to be considered "proper"; I believe that he is showing and relating that women too needs to be aware and responsible for there representation of self-image, language, and other things may influence others in regards of the female gender (mainly children). That along with the negative message/influence that artists, industry, and male gender portray women, women themselves may play a part in influencing young mind without realizing it too. For example, in the music video of Lupe "bitch bad" in act two, he raises the question what if the little girls weren't paying attention to the the rapper and his lyrics but instead they paid attention to the female dancer. They don't see a woman working or getting paid but instead they see a woman acting "sexy" while the rapper calls her a "bitch". So, I believe that he's not stating or suggesting that women should act a certain away but rather be aware that although they may the victim they may also be at the same time the enablers and/or influencers too.

      Delete
  2. Hey Soap,

    i wanted to know where and when is the Asian Collabarsian is? I also agree wit your opinion on Lupe demonstration on how the term bitch is used and misread in today society and music. I love your picture too.(:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Marie,

    The event is on Dec. 7th @ the I-Hotel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Soap,

    Do you have the direct address of the I-Hotel because i have no idea where that is. Also, do you still have extra fliers? Thank you(:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey,

      I'm sorry, for such a late reply... The address is 868 Kearny St. San Francisco, CA 94108, and yes I still have extra flyers.

      Delete
  5. It was during my research on HIV/Herpes that I stumbled upon the Hiv/Herpes information; information which is quite easy to find when doing a search for STD on google. I was into conspiracy at the time thought of HIV/Herpes Cured' being a conspiracy was something Ignorance though,I found pretty interesting about herbal medicine. I asked questions about the Herbal cure's on official HIV/Herpes websites and I was banned for doing so by moderators who told me that I was parroting Hiv/Herpes propaganda. This reinforced my belief that there is a cure for Hiv/Herpes Then i found a lady from germany name Achima Abelard Dr Itua Cure her Hiv so I send him a mail about my situation then talk more about it and send me his herbal medicine I drank for two weeks.And today I'm Cured no Hiv/Herpes in my life,I searched for Hiv/Herpes groups to attempt to make contact with people in order to learn more about Hiv/Herpes Herbal Cure's I believed at this time that you with the same disease this information is helpful to you and I wanted to do the best I could to spread this information in the hopes of helping other people.That Dr Itua Herbal Medicine makes me believes there is a hope for people suffering from,Parkinson's,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease
    ,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Colo_Rectal Cancer,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer,disease,Schizophrenia,Cancer,Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Infertility, ,Epilepsy ,Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpes,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Copd,Diabetes,Hepatitis,I read about him online how he cure Tasha and Tara,Conley,Mckinney and many more suffrin from all kind of disease so i contacted him . He's a herbal doctor with a unique heart of God, Contact Emal..info@drituaherbalcenter.com / drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Phone or whatsapp..+2348149277967.

    ReplyDelete